Sunday, February 20, 2011

Can technology make us happy? really?

Question: Can technology make us happy?
"I think technology could be quite relevant to our happiness. That is, we could use technology to improve it. But I don't think we do..." - said Dan Gilbert, Professor of Psychology in Harvard University.

Human is the only animal which can use specific power called intelligence on the daily base. We build cities, and by the fact I know we create technologies. I remember when cellphone used to be only for calling and playing Snake. There was no internet, no Facebook, no twitter, nothing that connects old-fashioned phone to our new world smart phones. Even nowadays we expect new technology releases every half year, making us buy more updated and interesting pieces, but people never could ask whether technologies make us happier or not. How I believe buying technologies, lead us to happy feeling of acquiring something new but it's not what we could call happiness. Do people know what make them happy? No. We don't (I'm sorry mom, but we really don't). ;) That's probably why our technologies don't make us happy. What Dan Gilbert suggested to us is to start make technologies that "can" make us happy, effecting brain physically, like happy pills... So, having the cure, the technologies, there is only one question... Do we want to use them? Do you want to use happy pills? I've been on them for a year or less, and I'm saying it's not happy at all ;) It makes you feel little different than happy, sometimes it even makes you even happier than you want. Also it leads to some unexpected mental problems, which about I really can't write, since I'm not a pharmacists. So will technologies go to my list of "happy things"? I cannot tell yet, since I want to observe this theme a little more. Only thing I would say about technologies is. Think about it, only technologies that make us happy are technologies that connect us to our family, lovers, friends, that's a real happiness. Love people surrounding you, kids stay out of drugs, livin' positive ;)

For you to stay out of drugs, another app I found here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment